|From Home Depot|
So of course I decided to build my own trellis. Here was my first plan:
Okay, seriously y'all, look how cute that is. There are mitre edges! And measurements! It's adorable! I bet it turns out EXACTLY like this. (Spoiler alert: no).
Then I moved on to the important thing: color. I quickly came up with these options:
From left to right: A weathered grey finish with all turquoise pots, a white finish with shades of blue pots, and a turquoise finish with multi-colored pots.
My design team (Sarah and Victoria) voted for the middle option. In Victoria's words, its very Mediterranean. Also, multiple shades of blue is kind of my thing.
So, I had a plan. I had measurements, and I had a shopping list. Off to Lowe's I went.
- 3 x 2x2x80, cut to (2) 76in, (2) 22in
- 1 pack 40in shims or furring strips
- 1 spray Thompsons Water Seal (for the pots)
- 3 blue Valpsar spray paints (Valspar spray paint is THE BEST)
- 8 6in terra cotta pots
- 8 l-shape mending plates
- 1 mitre box and saw
And let's face it, when I get to this point in a project, the shopping point, is usually where the poop hits the propeller, because I am an impulsive person, who likes things cheaper, and feels like she can make anything work. Some people can live like this. It works for me.
Actual purchase list (Lowe's edition):
- 3 x 2x3x80, same cuts
- 1 pack 40in shims or furring strips
- 2 blue Valpsar spray paints (Premium Enamel Gloss - Tropical Oasis and Exotic Sea)
- 6 6in terra cotta pots (all Lowes had left in stock)
- 6 square, 9 hole mending plates (all Lowes had in stock)
Lowe's didn't have the Water Seal. And I forgot the mitre box. They also didn't have a third blue I liked.
The Lowe's guy talked my into the 2x3s when he saw my plans. I agreed, but forgot to adjust my cut measurements. Oops. So then I made a quick stop at Home Depot for the Water Seal and the mitre box, and skedaddled home. Oh, and I didn't get any white paint, because I always have white spray paint and primer at home. What, you don't?
I lugged all the stuff up the stairs, then got down to business. First thing: mitre box was a no go. I realized quickly I was not going to make it through all the cuts I needed to do with that puny saw. Then I tried my jigsaw. Then I laughed and laughed and laughed. Lesson 1 for this project: MITRE CORNERS ARE NOT IN MY WHEELHOUSE.
Everything planned kind of went out the window after that. I made the frame using the mending plates, and then basically flung it around to ensure that it was sturdy enough (it was). Then I laid out the trellis pattern I had first measured, and that's when I realized the cuts mistake. See "oops" above. No problem. Re-measured, cut the furring strips with a hand saw, attached, and voila:
So at the same time I was building this beauty, I had treated the inside of the pots with the Water Seal. This keeps the paint from peeling on the outside. I let that cure over night, and then the next morning I got to spray painting:
I was concerned that they were kind of the same color, but I let it go.
Attaching them to the trellis was the next step. My original plan was to loop sisal rope around them pots, and then hang them from s-hooks. This was so much fail I didn't even take photos. NEXT.
I instead drilled holes through all the pots, the screw them directly into the X of the trellis. Do you know how much time it takes to drill through a terra cotta pot, without a masonry bit? SO VERY MUCH TIME.
However, two shades of blue, attached to the trellis, had me feeling pretty good:
Cute, right? And so close to done, I can taste it. So I went to Home Depot for more pots, and an aqua spray paint (note, I didn't do this on my previous Home Depot trip because you can't buy spray paint in the city. My Lowes is right out side the city limits, but the closest HD was inside). I got a cute aqua, it worked.
I also made a trip to Gethsemane Garden Center for the actual herb plants. Gethsemane is amazing. If you live in Chicago, don't go anywhere else for plants. And then I digressed, and did these, because I have ADD and am distracted by pretty.
But finally, I got the vertical herb garden all finished. And I love it. It's EXACTLY how I pictured it, even though I messed up measurements, couldn't cut a mitre corner to save my life and um, its not level. (Lesson 2: Level is also not is my wheelhouse.)
Screwed into the X
How I covered up the poorly mitred corners.